Rome has many historical and cultural places to visit, some of which are considered the most popular tourist attractions in the world.
Here are some of the most popular things to see in Rome:
- The Colosseum: One of the city's most iconic symbols, the Colosseum is a Roman amphitheater that dates back to the 1st century AD. and held gladiator shows and battleships. Home to thousands of visitors every day, the Colosseum is located in front of the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill, both of which are rich in ancient Roman culture and architecture.
- The Pantheon: A Roman temple dedicated to all deities, the Pantheon is a stunning example of ancient Roman architecture. Located in the heart of Rome, the ancient Roman monument is also the burial site of great Renaissance artists such as Raphael Sanzio and the Kings that ruled Italy.
- The Campidoglio: known also as Capitol Hill, home to some of the most important tourist attractions of Rome, such as the Altar of the Fatherland, the City Hall and the Capitoline Museums. The main Piazza was also projected by the greatest Renaissance Artisti, Michelangelo Buonarroti.
- The Vatican: Seat of the Pope and the government of the Catholic Church, the Vatican is an independent state within the borders of Rome and home to some of the world's most famous works of art, such as Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel. The Vatican Museums is one of the biggest and most visited museums in the world, home to famous masterpieces since the 16th century.
- Castello Sant'Angelo: A medieval fortress commissioned by the Emperor Hadrian almost 2000 years ago was once a Medieval fortress, a Papal residence, and still nowadays a burial site of the ancient Roman Emperors. Castel Sant'Angelo is another example of Rome's historic architecture.
These are just a few examples of the many places worth visiting in Rome. There are many other museums, churches, parks and monuments that are worth exploring during your trip to the Eternal City.
The best guided tour of Rome
It is difficult to say which is the absolute "best" guided tour of Rome, as it depends on each person's preferences and needs. However, there are a few things you might want to consider when choosing a guided city tour:
- Tour topic: There are many tours that focus on specific topics, such as art, architecture, ancient history, or the Vatican. Choose the tour that best suits your interests.
- Modes of Transport: There are many different ways to explore Rome, such as on foot, by bicycle, by bus or by scooter. Choose the mode of transport you prefer.
- Tour Duration: Tours can last from a couple of hours to a full day. Choose the one that best fits your schedule and budget.
- Guides: Make sure you choose a tour with an experienced and qualified guide who speaks your language or can provide adequate translations.
There are many guided tours available in Rome, so take the time to research and find the one that best suits your needs. You could also ask for recommendations from friends or family members who have already visited the city or read online reviews from other tourists.