- Discover Rome underground with a private guide
- Visit the underground chapel decorated by human bones
- Be stunned by the amazing history behind one of Rome's most particular Churches
- Crypt of the Resurrection
- The Mass Chapel
- Crypt of the Skulls
- Crypt of the Pelvises
- Crypt of the Leg Bones and Thigh Bones
- Crypt of the Three Skeletons
If You have already visited the highlights of Rome and would like to visit special parts that not all visitors know about, this tour will definitely reach your standards.
Your private guide will take you throughout a breathtaking tour of the Capuchin Crypt, which is a small space comprising several tiny chapels located beneath the church of Santa Maria Della Concezione dei Cappuccini.
Be stunned, whilst going underground and discover how The crypts of Capuchin friars were decorated with the bones of over 4,000 friars, including an entire "crypt of pelvises." Rather than simply burying the remains of their dead brethren, the monks decorated the walls of the crypts with their bones as a way of reminding themselves that death could come at any time.
This amazing "hidden" site is that unbelievable that also Mark Twain wrote about it in his 1869 book Innocents Abroad and in 1775, the Marquis de Sade wrote of it, “I have never seen anything more striking.”
✔ The Mass Chapel
✔ Crypt of the Skulls
✔ Crypt of the Pelvises
✔ Crypt of the Leg Bones and Thigh Bones
✔ Crypt of the Three Skeletons
Know before you go
- A proper dress code is required - Knees and Shoulders must be covered.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- This site is not wheelchair accessible.
- Entrance Fee
- Private Tour Guide